Thursday, June 3, 2010

I'm an idiot...no really

Last week I kept having a craving...a craving to go to the zoo. While I realize this isn't the same thing as craving chocolate, the craving was just as strong. I bothered Erik all week about seeing the new bear exhibit at Brookfield Zoo. He kept saying that he didn't think it was a good idea...you know because of my tendency to pass out. At any rate, I pleaded enough and on Sunday Erik, my sister, my brother-in-law, and I were on our way!

Before we left I had packed a day pack with entirely too many things. I made sure I had every type of medication 4 people could need: benadryl, claritin, imodium, tums, both of my inhalers, and lactaid. I also packed crackers, water, granola bars, and the GPS. I was ready.

When we got to the zoo, I was expecting it to be 77 degrees (based on weatherchannel.com), however when we got out of the car it was at least 100 degrees! Not to mention the fact that we parked as far away as possible. When I looked down the rows and rows of cars, I barely could even see the entrance to the zoo. I was already getting too hot, but I was determined to see a grizzly. So off we went.

We started our journey off by buying 4 cherry icees. I thought this would help as we walked through the sun. The icee was a good idea because we still had to walk through a long tunnel just to get to the ticket holder/entrance. Seriously, I'm not sure why they want to tire you out soo much before you ever get there. After what seemed like an eternity we made it to the entrance. Of course the bear exhibit was on the other side of the park. But I didn't care how hot and tired I was, I was going to see the polar bears.

On our way to the see the bears, we stopped and saw camels, the Australia House, the African House, the turtles, and the zebras. I had to stop a few times, but we kept going in and out of the air conditioned buildings, so I thought I was okay.

Finally we entered the bear exhibit. To get there you had to walk through a long tunnel and then it opened out into a big square and passed that was the building where they kept the different types of bears. As we were walking through the extremely long tunnel, I couldn't catch my breath. I was soo hot and no matter how much water I was drinking I just didn't feel good. However I was momentarily distracted by the big bison we passed on our way into the Bear Park. It was huge! I had no idea they were so big...anyway back to my dramatic story.

So we go into the bear park and I immediately knew I had to sit down. I was starting to have a contraction. No, not the lame little cramps I usually have, but a full on intense cramping/sharp pain in my back and lower abdomen. And simultaneously I was nauseous and I thought I was going go faint! Quickly I laid down on the nearest bench and Erik ran to get me something cold to drink. While I'm waiting for Erik everyone and their mother was staring at me. I know that every time I see a pregnant woman laying on a bench in pain I stare...but jeez! I was not apart of the zoo exhibit. At any rate next thing I know (against my protests)Erik had someone call the zoo paramedics. So embarrassing! I was already starting to feel better when a family of 5 decided that I was far more interesting than the bears, and they pretty much parked themselves in front of me and just stared at me. They stayed right there when the paramedics showed up. I had to beg the paramedics not to take me in the ambulance. I told them I was feeling much better, and they gave me a bunch of cold packs and asked me a few questions. I was a little distracted by the fan club family, so I just looked at them and said "Hey! Why are you staring at me? I am not apart of the zoo!" They all looked so shocked and immediately stopped looking, but they didn't walk away. The paramedics haled a golf cart for us, and had us driven to our car. Now that I think about it, I wish we could have had that the whole time. Just to show how far away we were from the car...it took us 10 min by golf cart...imagine walking.

So, I never got to see the bears. I mean, I really wanted to see them, and I was so close...and nothing! We just ended up getting lunch and going home. To make me feel better I watched Animal Planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment